[aspectc-user] Problem with AspectC++

Olaf Spinczyk olaf at ivs.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Oct 24 18:27:56 CEST 2001

Hi Tim,

On Wednesday, 24. October 2001 17:27, you wrote:
> Hi,
>    I think it's my environment that is giving me problems:  I'm running
> Windows 2000 with cygwin installed.  I'm able to compile ac++ but every
> time I run it (or make) I get the following:
>
>    /usr/bin/ac++: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Tim

thank you for your interest in AspectC++. I am a little bit surprised about
your question, because I was not aware that somebody outside of our group has
access to the AspectC++ source code.

What you can download from the web-site is a linux/intel binary together with
a set of demo files. So how could you compile this? The download page does
not describe this properly. I will update the page as soon as I can.

If somebody from here gave you access to the source, then contact me directly
and give me more details about what you did. We never tried to compile our
tools with cygwin.

Otherwise you can try ac++ on a linux system or you can install 'vmware' on
your windows. Then you can install linux (preferably RedHat 7.1) inside the
virtual machine of vmware and run AspectC++.

But don't expect too much. For good reasons our current version number is
0.1-preview 2. Looking at the example code will already give you an
impression about what AspectC++ can do in its current state. We will also
have another paper that describes AspectC++ soon. If you don't have access to
a linux system I would give you the advice to wait until we have a cygwin or
source code version available on the download page. We plan to have AspectC++
running on windows (without needing cygwin) in the next 6 month, but at the
moment having a single platform makes the life easier for us.

Olaf

--
Dipl. Inform. Olaf Spinczyk                      | University of Magdeburg
E-mail: olaf at ivs.cs.uni-magdeburg.de             | Universitätsplatz 2