[aspectc-user] Re: Possible Compiler Bug

Matthias Urban murban at cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Feb 15 23:09:19 CET 2002

Dear Colin,

you wrote:
> Just reporting what I think is a minor compiler bug.
>
> The line
> #include "a\\b.h"
> should look for the file a\b, I think.
> In fact it looks for a\\b.h

This behavior is ok. At the GNU C preprocessor info page you can find
the following paragraph:

---
If backslashes occur within "...", they are considered ordinary text
characters, not escape characters. None of the character escape
sequences appropriate to string constants in C are processed. Thus,
`#include "x\n\\y"' specifies a filename containing three backslashes.
It is not clear why this behavior is ever useful, but the ANSI standard
specifies it.
---

Exactly :-))

I've designed the preprocessor to behave like this, although I'm also
not really convinced of it. But what should I do, it's standard ;-)

Best regards,
Matthias