[aspectc-user] Is this idea still alive?

Olaf Spinczyk Olaf.Spinczyk at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Aug 26 15:40:16 CEST 2004

Hi Peter,

Peter A. Kerzum wrote:
> Excuse me, but Is AOC still alive?

What do you mean by "AOC"?

AspectC++?
AspectC?
AOP with C++?
AOP with C?

> Is it under development still? Was it ever used in commercial application?
> I track this list for a long time and I like the theory but I'm just still a
> bit afraid to use this in critical applications. Would you recommend me pro o
> contra?
>
> Thanx

AspectC++ is still under development. The current version number is
0.9pre1. That means we don't have version 1.0 yet and AspectC++ users
still need some "good will". I wouldn't recommend to *start* using
AspectC++ in a "critical application". It is better to start by
gathering experience with small internal projects and the so-called
"development aspects". Examples for these development aspects are
aspects for tracing the control flow. This can be used for profiling,
debugging, or checking the code coverage of your tests. You could also
start with crosscutting constraint checks. All these aspects don't
affect your business logic and can be turned off in the production
version of your software. That's the way other people currently start
using AspectC++ in commercial environments.

If there is no chance to use AspectC++ in a not so critical application
first, I would recommend to pay for professional support (see
www.aspectc.org) by people who know all the limitations and pitfalls.

I hope this helps,