[aspectc-user] Eclipse plug-in

Olaf Spinczyk Olaf.Spinczyk at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon May 24 09:54:45 CEST 2004

Hello Hans,

Hans VB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the AOSD 2004 Tutorial slides I read that at the conference there has
> been given a demo with an Eclipse plug-in. I can't seem to find anything
> about it on the web.
> Could someone provide me with some pointers to this development effort?
>
> Greetings from Belgium,
> Hans

the ACDT is an Eclipse plug-in for writers of AspectC++ programs. It is
a project developed by some of my students which started at the
beginning of this year. At the AOSD 2004 we demonstrated the plug-in
(during the AspectC++ tutorial) and the people who got one of the demo
CDs at the AOSD are even able to play with it. The current version of
the plug-in has the following features:

- syntax highlighting of the new AspectC++ keywords
- extended outline that shows aspects, pointcuts, and advice
- 'managed' AspectC++ projects
   * no makefiles needed to compile AspectC++ programs

The plug-in does not visualize the joinpoints affected by advice, yet.
However, it already makes experimenting with AspectC++ quite easy,
because you don't have to worry about a makefile or ac++ command line
options.

Originally, we wanted to publish the ACDT immediately after the AOSD at
www.aspectc.org, but then decided to improve and clean things up a
little before publishing it. This took longer than expected, but now it
is nearly finished. You can expect the first version of the ACDT within
the next two weeks. I'll announce it on this mailing list.

Greetings from Germany,

Olaf

PS: if you need the ACDT urgently, I can send you the version from the
AOSD, of course.