[aspectc-user] Build with MSVC++?

Matthias Urban matthias.urban at pure-systems.com
Tue Nov 4 01:06:39 CET 2008

Hi Gordon,

> although this is not really supported, we have built Puma a few times
> with MSVC++. I hope that Matthias can give you a few hints how to do this.
>
> - Olaf
>
> Gordon Schumacher wrote:
>> Is it possible (sane?) at present to build at least Puma with
>> Microsoft's compiler?  I'm assuming that it probably is at least
>> internally, since there is the plugin... but I would ideally like to be
>> able to build it myself since I would kind of like a debug build of the
>> Puma library.

You should in any case first get the latest version of Puma:

svn checkout https://svn.aspectc.org/repos/AspectC++-Project/trunk
AspectC++-Project

In the root directory of Puma there is a file INSTALL containing a brief
description on how to generate a MSVC++ project file. Execute following
commands in the root directory of Puma:

> export AC_OPTFLAGS="--no_line --problem_force_inline
--problem_local_class --no_problem_spec_scope"

> make cleanall TARGET=linux

> make weave EXTENSIONS=winext TARGET=linux

> bash ./tools/gen_vcpp_proj.sh debug pack

This generates the files Puma.vcproj and PumaVCProj.zip in the Puma root
directory. Simply unpack the ZIP on Windows and try to build using the
"Debug|Win32" configuration. Since I had no time to test it, I can not
promise that it really compiles (IMHO it should). I will try it
tomorrow. If you encounter any problems please let me know.

Regards,
Matthias