[aspectc-user] Build with MSVC++?

Gordon Schumacher gordon at rebit.com
Tue Nov 4 17:46:19 CET 2008

Matthias Urban wrote:
> This generates the files Puma.vcproj and PumaVCProj.zip in the Puma root
> directory. Simply unpack the ZIP on Windows and try to build using the
> "Debug|Win32" configuration. Since I had no time to test it, I can not
> promise that it really compiles (IMHO it should). I will try it
> tomorrow. If you encounter any problems please let me know.

I had just pulled the SVN trunk before I'd sent the message - I'd not
come across that set of instructions yet.

The main issue that I've been running into is that I've had an extremely
difficult time building Puma and AspectC++ at all.  If I start using the
prebuilt 1.0pre3 binaries under MSYS/MinGW, it complains "Can't do
inplace edit" trying to create puma.cfg, and then I get a crash running
orange.  If I try building under Cygwin with the same binary, it seems
to hang when trying to run ac++.

I'm starting with 1.0pre3, because it seems like all three pieces depend
on each other in order to build.  I was able to get the (only pre-woven)
1.0pre3 sources to build, but even then I had to do some amount of
manual hacking (and under this situation, I saw crashes running lemon
and ac++, which on restarting make it seemed to get through sometimes).

Are there build instructions somewhere that I've been missing - or
perhaps a way to bootstrap ac++ without already having ac++ (since the
binaries I downloaded don't seem to work)?  Do I have something horribly
misconfigured??