[aspectc-user] Cooperation with "CTL-VW"?

Markus Elfring Markus.Elfring at web.de
Wed Apr 9 21:58:56 CEST 2014

>> Would it be useful to reuse it in your function/class library?
>
> No, I don't think so (if I understood your idea correctly).

Thanks for your feedback.

Is the technology "computation tree logic" generally useful for parsing and
transformation of source files?

> A technical reason is that their tools are made for transforming C-code (mainly
> the Linux kernel) and not for C++ code. They simply wouldn't work for us.

I know that also because of Coccinelle's software limitation to process C source
code mostly.

> Another reason -- on a higher level --  is that the pattern matching language
> described in the paper is made for "semantic patches". This has similarities with
> aspect weaving, but also subtle differences.

How do you think about discuss such differences a bit more?

> Aspects are mainly made for "programming", whiles patches are made for modifications
> in "existing code". Therefore patches need (in my opinion) much more fine-grained
> code transformation abilities. I doubt that it makes sense to give an AO language,
> for instance, the ability to transform specific expressions in specific functions.

Is there any more research going on about the expressiveness of poincut languages?

> In the case of aspects, which are intended to live longer than patches, maintainance
> problems might arise.

I guess that corresponding implementation details will need further considerations.

http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/TSE.2011.21

> Having said that, I would like to add that I am not against changes or
> improvements to the AspectC++ pointcut language! On the contrary -- we already
> have some ideas in this direction, which would give you more powerful means to
> describe related joinpoints.

I am curious how the software development will evolve there.

> However, we first have to finish the front-end migration to Clang, which is much
> more important for the adoption of AspectC++ at the moment.

Would you like to share any more thoughts on this area?

Regards,
Markus