[aspectc-user] could AspectC++ documentation be made free?

Daniel Lohmann daniel.lohmann at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Feb 12 11:51:46 CET 2005

Antonio S. de A. Terceiro wrote:

>Hello AspectC++ team. That's me again, bothering you with issues about
>packaging AspectC++ to Debian. :-)

You are welcome :-)

>I've noted that most of AspectC++ distributed documentation in not free.
>The documents say nothing about licenses or say explicitly "All rights
>reserved".
>
>This makes impossible to include AspectC++ in a official Debian package.
>
>If you can make the documentation free, and if it's not an abuse from
>me, let me suggest a license:
>
>http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
>
>if the documentation can't be free, please don't distribute it together
>with the source code tarball (which if free).

AFAIK the documentation was never intended to be not free. The current
license issue seems to be more a kind of oversight, we are going to
change this. Of course we have to ask all contributers first, but I
don't expect any problems. Thanks a lot for pointing out this!

>Yet, if it can be free, I'd suggest to distribute only the LyX inputs
>together with the sources, since the PDF's can be genereated from them,
>or even distribute it in HTML instead of PDF.

HTML is currently not an option (poor formatting, printing, full-text
search capabilities). As many users don't have a running LyX or even TeX
installation (Solaris, Windows,  MacOS...), it also makes sense to
include the PDF versions.
(I personally don't like the idea of having to *build* documentation at
all. It is too often an annoying task because of  missing tools,
incompatible configurations and so on. IMHO PDF is just perfect.)

Have fun!

Daniel