[aspectc-user] Puma compilation

Olaf Spinczyk os at aspectc.org
Mon Feb 13 14:28:17 CET 2012

Hello Frederic!

This is a fully appropriate question.

Puma and AspectC++ are being developed by people who usually work under
and prefer Linux. Therefore, Windows is not very well supported and
tested. Sorry for that, but man power is limited.

However, I've just installed a mingw/msys environment and compiled the
Puma library. This has worked fine:

1. Download and unpack the latest woven sources from aspectc.org
    (the latest are usually better than the 1.0 version)

2. In your msys shell go to aspectc++/Puma and enter "make
TARGET=mingw-release compile".
    (don't use "win32-release", because this will try to use the
linux->windows cross compiler! -> see vars.mk)
    (if you have a multi-core CPU, you can speed up compilation with
"make ... -j<number of cores>")
    (after compilation, with a few harmless warnings, you'll have the
library in Puma/lib/mingw-release/libPuma.a and the include files in
Puma/include)

3. In order to build a test application you can change into
Puma/examples/parser and execute "make TARGET=mingw-release"

4. Now comes the only point that did not work for me as expected: The
parser configuration file generation within the 'parser' test program.
As a workaround you can download the binary AspectC++ package for win32
and run "ag++ --gen_config -o puma.config". With the puma.config file
and the 'parser' binary, you can test Puma, e.g. with "./parser --config
puma.config -I ../../include -I ../../extern --lang-c++ parser.cc" ->
This command parses the 'parser.cc' source code itself and all included
Puma header files. You can play with the various --dump-... options to
have a look at the syntax tree, the semantic database, or the
instantiated templates if you want.

Best regards,

Olaf